Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The woes of working on your basement in the winter

I thought I would share some of the obstacles we are facing while we are trying to work on our basement during the winter.
Such as condensation! Its on the walls in the basement since they are not properly insulated yet. This is fine because it will dry and not leave any permanent damage, but we have to wait until it is all dry before we can continue down the wall with insulation and then putting the drywall up. Here are some pictures of the walls when I had come down the stairs. It did freak me out a bit because we did have cracks in our foundation a few years ago (we did get it all fixed though) I was thinking just our luck it cracked again, but it didn't which I am very happy about.







Also the weekend that Matt and my brother were in the attic, well my brother went in the attic, they found that we have frost in the attic which is not a good thing. Our insulation in the attic has lost a lot of its insulating value, I guess you could call it, and is not keeping the hot air in our house. So that is another project that we will have to tackle this summer too.
Man oh man owning a home and especially an older home the projects just never end!

2 comments:

  1. Craziness! That would have freaked me out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crappy about the attic! But, you need to stay warm so its a must-do!

    ReplyDelete